Quality and Technical Manager
The Happy Pear exists to inspire people to eat well, feel good, and live better. It started out back in 2004 with Steve, Dave, a tiny shop and a dream of helping people to eat more veg! The Happy Pear now consists of over 60 food products, a suite of online courses, two wholefood retail cafes & shops, a range of bestselling cookbooks, a farm, a roastery and a community of over 1 million people living healthier! The mission is still the same, to create a healthier, happier world and build community!
This role offers a candidate with a background in quality the opportunity to lead an exciting and progressive Quality system in a business that is on the cutting edge of plant-based food innovation.
Experience in BRCGS Audits is essential as the site’s primary Quality objective is to maintain BRCGS certification at an AA grade level. The site manufactures and distributes a number of ready-to-eat dips (hummus and pesto) in addition to a range of baked goods, fermented foods, confectionery products, roasted coffee, preserves and seasonal products mostly for our sister café.
This role operates within a dynamic and exciting team in a progressive environment. It works closely with a broad range of key stakeholders including Operations, Production, NPD, HR and external suppliers.
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in quality systems and working with stakeholders to achieve results in the FMCG industry and will ideally have a passion for working for a healthy eating brand. Working in a fast-paced environment, this role will demand first class organisational skills and excellent problem-solving ability. This role reports to the Operations Manager and will also be managing the hygiene team (1-2 members).
Your duties will include:
- Implementation and review of HACCP systems based on Codex Alimentarius and HACCP, TACCP, Product Recall team leader
- Implementing, developing and managing a QMS conforming to the requirements of the BRCGS Food Safety Standard and other relevant customer standards
- Ensuring the safety, authenticity, legality and quality of products produced and ensuring compliance with relevant legislation on Food Safety
- Control of quality policies and procedures, quality and hygiene related records, documentation updates and control
- Consumer and customer complaint handling
- Facilitation of internal, second and third party audits (BRCGS, HSE and customer audits) from start to close out
- Staff training – food safety and quality topics
- Owner of quality paperless systems for record keeping and staff training
- Control and approval of raw materials and suppliers & maintaining raw material and finished product specification
- Ensuring that day to day operations and work of employees and contractors meet the requirements of the quality system
- Ensuring that the product is produced within the scope of the quality system, hygiene procedures and customer requirements are fully met
- Ensuring that effective cleaning schedules and clean down procedures are in operation including the provision of equipment and protective clothing
- Arrange calibration of equipment, ensure in-house calibrations are carried out
- Decisions on corrective actions, non-conforming products, process deviations, finished product release
- Monitoring of finished product and reporting of any non-conformances, lead quality incident investigations to establish root cause and corrective and preventative actions, assessment of non-conformances and monitoring of corrective and preventive action for effectiveness
- The correct implementation and inspection of plant equipment and test requirements
- Set agenda and lead Annual Management Review & host monthly quality meetings
- Carrying out all appropriate sampling, external and internal micro and shelf-life testing
- Work closely with and assist NPD to ensure that product development trials and activities are introduced, carried out and managed in a controlled fashion
- Prepare reports to communicate outcomes of all quality activities
- Assigning tasks to hygiene team members and Food Safety Champions
- Assisting other functions in the business where required
Nuts & Bolts
- Third level qualification in food science or related discipline
- Experience in external 3rd party audits including BRCGS or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge and experience (min. 3 years) in an FMCG environment, preferably with ‘ready to eat’ foods
- Strong background in Food Safety and Quality Management Systems
- HACCP Training
- Strong knowledge of food production, microbiology and legislation, particularly Reg 2073/2005 & Reg 1169/11
- A high level of computer literacy and competency – Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Musgraves Zoom
- Desire to drive continuous improvement
- Proven ability to drive change and conformance in a varied and fast-paced environment
- Leadership and strong communication skills
- Experience working with high-care, ready to eat products
- Additional training on other food topics like BRC Issue 9, HACCP, Risk Assessment, Lean Manufacturing
- A proven record in achieving and maintaining quality accreditation (BRCGS or equivalent)/BRCGS audit experience
- HACCP Level 6 training
- Internal Auditor training
- Specific interest in plant based food products
- A passion for life and a desire to make the world a happier health placeTo apply for this role, please click Apply Now at the end of the post.
To apply for this role, please send your CV to [email protected]
All candidates must be eligible to live and work in the EU.
*No relocation assistance will apply.
*The Happy Pear is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.