1 SCOBY (can be bought online)
6oz previously brewed or purchased kombucha
2 teabags of your choice
1 litre glass jar with 60g of white cane sugar
1 litre of boiled (not too hot!) distilled water
- Pour the litre of water into your jar that has the sugar. Water should be warm enough to dissolve the sugar but not not too hot or the SCOBY will die.
- Add your two tea bags and leave until temperature has reduced to below 37 degrees celsius (about 10 minutes)
- Remove tea bags using a WOODEN spoon
- Add your scoby and the cup up previously brewed kombucha
- Cover lid with a clean teabag and leave for 10 to 20 days in indirect sunlight at a temperature of about 20 degrees celsius
- Remove your scoby and it’s ready to go! This is your FIRST fermentation
- If you would like to make your kombucha more carbonated, you can do a SECOND fermentation
- Divide your kombucha into several smaller jar, adding a pinch of sugar to each.
- Add in different teabags to each jar if you wish to play with the flavour a bit more
- After you’ve let the kombucha sit in the smaller, sealed jars for a day, you will need to BURP it. This means that you take the lid off to let it expel some gas and then put the lid back on straight away.
- Leave it sit for 3 more days and then it will be ready to drink!