- 250g arborio rice
- 1L veg stock
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 250g shiitake mushrooms (can be replaced with others of choice)
- 4 tbsp white wine (can be replaced with more veg stock)
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Small bunch of thyme
- Toasted cashew nuts
- Peel and finely chop your onion and garlic and chop the mushrooms into bite sized pieces
- Put a small saucepan on a low heat and add the veg stock
- Heat a large saucepan over a high heat. Once hot, add 1.5 tbsp oil, the onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes stirring regularly
- Add the wine/ equivalent of veg stock and cook for 1 minute or until it has evaporated
- Add some leaves of your fresh thyme
- Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring regularly to coat
- Using a small ladle, add approx 120ml of the veg stock at a time,stirrring almost constantly but giving the risotto little breaks to come back to a simmer. Reduce the heat to a medium once it has boiled and ensure you maintain a gentle simmer. You want it to be cooking in its steam rather than boiling.
- Continue to add vegetable stock, stirring to incorporate, until the rice is ‘al dente’- cooked through but still has a slight bite. The whole process should only take 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and leave to sit with lid on for a few minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon
- Top with thyme (and nutritional yeast if using) and some chilli flake if you like a bit of spice!