Every year more and more houses have a vegetarian or vegan sitting at the Christmas table, it can be stressful for the cook who has only ever had to serve one diet as there’s a bit of change in the ritual that is Christmas dinner.
BUT WE’RE HERE TO HELP!!
Our 12 days of Christmas is here to take the stress out of feeding your loved ones this Christmas we’re going to upload a delicious vegan Christmas recipe every day for 12 days.
Whether the whole house is vegan or just yourself this will make for big smiles at the dinner table. Stuffed butternut squash is an amazing main, it can be relatively cheap or as extravagant as you’d like. We stuffed ours with a delicious lentil filling.
It’s so juicy and filling you might want to make 2 just incase. A perfect Christmas dinner and it’ll be the talk of the table.
- 1 1/2 kilo butternut squash
- pinch of salt
- drizzle of oil
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 red onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- pinch of salt
- 2x400g tins of cooked lentils
- 150ml white wine
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 50g fresh cranberries
- Thyme to finish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise
- Scoop out the seeds and then cut out some of the insides in a smooth channel to use as stuffing
- Score with a fork and add a drizzle of oil and pinch of salt
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- While squash is baking add 1 tbsp oil to a pan on a high heat
- Add 2 red onions and 2 cloves of garlic chopped to the pan
- Fry them until brown before adding the finely chopped squash along with a pinch of salt
- Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the lentils, wine, tamari, chopped tomatoes and cranberries at the end
- Adjust seasoning to your own palette
- Cook for about 30 mins
- Once the squash has slightly cooled stuff with your lentil mix
- Quickly flip the two halves back together and tie with some twine
- Put back in oven to roast for 20 minutes
- Leave to cool and serve!