50g rye flour
50g filtered chlorine free water
For the bread
450g strong white flour
50g wholemeal flour
To make the mother culture
- If you are baking bread regularly, leave at room temperature and then simply add 50g of rye flour & 50g filtered chlorine free water to the remaining starter in the jar and it will be ready to use the following day.
- If you are not baking bread on a regular basis, mix your 50g starter with 50g rye flour & 50g filtered chlorine free water until it reaches a thick batter consistency.
- After feeding, put in the fridge for up to a week, then throw away half of the starter and add a further 50g of rye flour & 50g filtered chlorine free water and leave at room temperature before making another loaf.
- It should be bubbly and have a slight sweet/sour smell.
- Please note, if you are not using your starter straight away, you should feed & refrigerate.
To make the bread
- Put the flour, water and starter in a mixer and mix until well kneaded
- Leave mixture to sit for 20 minutes
- Mix together the salt and remaining water and add to bowl
- Mix together
- Remove mixture and place into a large container, turning every 30 minutes for 3 hours
- Preheat oven to 220°C
- Pan up 900g loaf making sure to flour the basket
- Leave in basket overnight in the fridge
- Bake at 220°C for 20 minutes and drop to 190°C for a further 20mins
- Remove from oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack