This is the classic Italian creamy delicious coffee sponge dessert! Tiramisu means “pull me up or lift me up” we reckon this refers to the coffee and sugar combination! The below recipe framework is from our Ultimate Vegan Baking Course which teaches you the tools and science behind vegan baking. Our Italian friend Alessia gave this tiramisu a 9.5/ 10 so its pretty good, she took away half a point as she likes more cream!
* To make the vegan lady fingers; In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, then sift them through a sieve. Make a well in the centre. Mix all the wet ingredients, add to the dry ingredients.Mix together until they just come together using a spatula or a hand mixer. Split the sponge batter to the tray and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then slice into 16 fingers – approx 3 cm in width/ 10cm length approx. To mimic lady fingers. Pop back into the oven for 10 minutes and then set aside to cool and dry out further.
* While the sponge is baking, make the cream; remove the cream from the can of coconut milk (leave in the fridge to encourage more separation) add the icing sugar and vanilla and mix to ensure there are no lumps, being careful not to over mix as if over mixed it can start to clump and slightly curdle. (If vegan cream cheese and vegan double cream, simply whip the cream till nicely whipped and fold in the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla, mix until you get a stiff cream..
* In a bowl add the strong coffee and the brandy and mix. Take the cooled lady fingers and dunk each on quickly into the coffee brandy mixture ensuring that they are not too wet.
* Add a layer of soaked lady fingers to the base of the tray
* Add a generous layer of the cream (roughly half the cream mixture)
* Next add a second layer of the soaked fingers.
* Next add another layer of the cream. Smoothing it evenly. Pop back in the fridge for 20 mins to 1 hour to firm up.
* Lastly finish with a dusting of 2 Tbsp of cacao powder through a mesh strainer and roughly chop or grate the chocolate and sprinkle across the top. Or use freeze dried raspberries or strawberries if you can source them.