This week the wonderful Roz Purcell was kind enough to share the recipe for her (very addictive) Coconut Caramel Half Moon bites with us. These are definately must-try for anyone who considers themselves a bit “nuts” for the old coconut!
200g Desiccated Coconut
1 tbsp. maple
2 tbsp. coconut oil
12 soft dates- soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
3 tbsp. peanut butter (almond and cashew butter work here also)
1.5 tbsp. coconut oil
2 tbsp. nut milk (almond milk etc.)
Pinch sea salt
70g dark chocolate melted
1 tbsp. desiccated coconut for garnish
- In a food processor, blend the desiccated coconut until smooth, add in the coconut oil and maple and blend once more until a smooth paste is formed. You may need to scrap down the sides of the food processor a few times to achieve this- patience:)
- Press this mix into a muffin tin about 1.5 ” in height.
- Place in the freezer while you make the caramel topping.
- In a food processor, add the drained dates (after soaking), along with the rest of the caramel ingredients and blend until smooth with no trace of dates.
- Spoon this mix over the coconut and smooth over the top to make it even.
- Place back in the freezer for 2-3 hours until they are completely hard, once rock solid using a sharp knife to cut each “cookie” in half.
- Dip into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with some coconut.
- Place back in the freezer to set.
- Store in the freezer for up to 12 days.