Hearty Italian veg & white bean soup
This is a really hearty chunky soup packed full of flavour – we love a good wholesome chunky soup, so comforting, particularly one that walks the line between a soup and a stew, which one might even call "stoup". We love to add greens to chunky soups just before serving. They wilt in the heat and give a freshness. Adding a good handful of spinach, chopped young kale or even a bunch of chopped fresh herbs will take your chunky soup to the next level.
- 3 red onions chopped finely
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 1 fennel bulb chopped into small bite sized bits
- 5 sticks of celery chopped finely
- 3 carrots chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons tamari Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2.5 teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of dried mixed herbs
- 1 potato grated or chopped very small to thicken the soup
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin of butter beans drained and rinsed
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 100 g of baby spinach
Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic and finely chop the fennel. Cut the celery and carrots into small bite-size rounds. Saute the onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of tamari and 2 tablespoons of water on a medium heat for 3 mins, stirring regularly (add another tablespoon of water if it starts to stick).
Add the celery, carrot and fennel to the pan, along with the salt, pepper and herbs and stir. Grate the unpeeled potato or dice into very small cubes, add to the pan with the fennel seeds and stir. Reduce the heat to low – medium and cook for 10 mins, stirring regularly.
Drain and rinse the butter beans and add to the pan with the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer for 40 mins, until the vegetables are cooked.
When ready to serve, add the spinach and stir well. It will have wilted by the time you serve it.
Calories: 187kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 9gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1428mgPotassium: 984mgFiber: 10gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 6851IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 168mgIron: 4mg
P r i n t R e c i p e